Listening to debates that are transmitted or spread on TV channels : Shaykh Ahmad Baazmool
Shaykh Ahmad Baazmool :
Pay attention, O my brothers! These debates which take place in public are wrong! And they are wrong from different angles.
- The first angle is that those who debate, most of them are either not people of Sunnah and clear Salafiyyah hence they don’t clearly distinguish between Truth and falsehood, even in their answers.
This is why you find some of them sitting with a Raafidee while he is cheerful and smiling in his face and treating him as if he’s his brother. Clear? This is wrong! This is wrong! The Raafidee is khabeeth (evil, wicked, filthy)! He curses Abu Bakr and ‘Umar, and I smile at him?! Never! Rather I look angry to him! And I would never give him a nice look! This is one observation.
- The second observation: Some of them are juhhaal (ignorant ones) who have not learned from the Scholars. They have not learned from the Scholars! Shaykh al-Fawzaan even said about one of them that he is muta‘aalim (someone who pretends to have knowledge).
- The third thing: sometimes it happens that the person of innovation – in his discussion and his debate – brings forward things which the other party is not able to refute. And there is fitnah (trial, tribulation) in this for this debater and for the laymen who are watching!
- The fourth thing: this is not the way of the Salaf!
When the Salaf refuted the people of innovation, they refuted their innovations not from the angle of debating, but only from the angle of bringing falsehood to nothing and making the Truth manifest.
And there is a difference between the two! For verily, debating with the people of innovation means that you sit with him at one table and that you make him speak with his false speech and continue in its clarification, and this is prohibited according to the Salaf! But when the false speech of the people of innovation reached them, then the Scholars refuted him and they didn’t allow him to debate. That’s it! Then they warned against him, declared him an innovator, declared him astray and commanded [the people] to avoid him. This is how the Salaf-us-Saalih, may Allaah be pleased with them, were.
Then, also from the things which take place, is that Shaykh ibn Baaz, may Allaah have mercy upon him, and the Major Scholars – and this is also the characteristic of the Salaf – did not debate with the people of innovation in public! They did not debate with them in public! And this is why I end my words with two things.
- The first thing: there might be a fitnah for the laymen and even some students of knowledge – who are not qualified with regards to knowledge – in watching these debates!
- The second thing: the Scholars stated in their fataawaa (verdicts) that it is haraam (unlawful, forbidden) to watch and listen to these debates. Haraam! Not permissible! Because these are places of fitan (trials, tribulations), places which Allaah – the Mighty and Majestic – hates, places where falsehood is spread and evil places! So it’s not allowed to sit in them, listen to them and watch them. This is the ruling of the Scholars on this: they prohibited watching and listening to them. Na‘am. Shaykh ibn ‘Uthaymeen, Shaykh al-Fawzaan, Shaykh Rabee‘ and other than them prohibit these things upon the common folk to watch them and they prohibit setting up of the likes these debates in public.
Posted on November 29, 2013, in Fatwa and tagged debates-fitan, listening to debates, listening to innovators, Salaf-us-Saalih, sheikh ahmad bazmool, way of the Salaf. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.