Category Archives: Quranic Foods
Quranic Foods and Its Benefits
✦ Plants ⇨ 1. Dates (22) ✦
Dates are nakhl () in Arabic.
1. Would any of you wish to have a garden with date-palms and vines, with rivers flowing underneath, and all kinds of fruits for him therein, while he is striken with old age, and his children are weak (not able to look after themselves), then it is struck with a fiery whirlwind, so that it is burnt? Thus does God make clear His Ayât (proofs, evidences, verses) to you that you may give thought. [2:266]
2. It is He Who sends down water (rain) from the sky, and with it We bring forth vegetation of all kinds, and out of it We bring forth green stalks, from which We bring forth thick clustered grain. And out of the date-palm and its spathe come forth clusters of dates hanging low and near, and gardens of grapes, olives and pomegranates, each similar (in kind) yet different (in variety and taste). Look at their fruits when they begin to bear, and the ripeness thereof. Verily! In these things there are signs for people who believe. [6:99]
3. And it is He Who produces gardens trellised and untrellised, and date-palms, and crops of different shape and taste (its fruits and its seeds) and olives, and pomegranates, similar (in kind) and different (in taste). Eat of their fruit when they ripen, but pay the due thereof (its Zakât, according to God’s Orders 1/10th or 1/20th) on the day of its harvest, and waste not by extravagance . Verily, He likes not Al-Musrifûn (those who waste by extravagance), [6:141]
4. And in the earth are neighbouring tracts, and gardens of vines, and green crops (fields etc.), and date-palms, growing out two or three from a single stem root, or otherwise (one stem root for every palm ), watered with the same water, yet some of them We make more excellent than others to eat. Verily, in these things, there are Ayât (proofs, evidences, lessons, signs) for the people who understand. [13:4]
5. With it He causes to grow for you the crops, the olives, the date-palms, the grapes, and every kind of fruit. Verily! In this is indeed an evident proof and a manifest sign for people who give thought. [16:11]
6. And from the fruits of date-palms and grapes, you derive strong drink (this was before the order of the prohibition of the alcoholic drinks) and a goodly provision. Verily, therein is indeed a sign for people who have wisdom. [16:67]
7. Or you have a garden of date-palms and grapes, and cause rivers to gush forth in their midst abundantly; [17:91]
8. And put forward to them the example of two men; unto one of them We had given two gardens of grapes, and We had surrounded both with date-palms; and had put between them green crops (cultivated fields etc.). [18:32]
9. And the pains of childbirth drove her to the trunk of a date-palm. She said: “Would that I had died before this, and had been forgotten and out of sight! [19:23]
10. And shake the trunk of date-palm towards you, it will let fall fresh ripe-dates upon you. [19:25]
11. [Fir’aun (Pharaoh)] said: “Believe you in him [Mûsa (Moses)] before I give you permission? Verily! He is your chief who taught you magic. So I will surely cut off your hands and feet on opposite sides, and I will surely crucify you on the trunks of date-palms, and you shall surely know which of us [I (Fir’aun — Pharaoh) or the Lord of Mûsa (Moses) (God)] can give the severe and more lasting torment. [20:71]
12. Then We brought forth for you therewith gardens of date-palms and grapes, wherein is much fruit for you, and whereof you eat. [23:19]
13. And green crops (fields etc.) and date-palms with soft spadix. [26:148]
14. And We have made therein gardens of date-palms and grapes, and We have caused springs of water to gush forth therein. [36:34]
15. And tall date-palms, with ranged clusters; [50:10]
16. Plucking out men as if they were uprooted stems of date-palms. [54:20]
17. Therein are fruits, date-palms producing sheathed fruit-stalks (enclosing dates). [55:11]
18. In them (both) will be fruits, and date-palms and pomegranates. [55:68]
19. Which God imposed on them for seven nights and eight days in succession, so that you could see men lying overthrown (destroyed), as if they were hollow trunks of date-palms! [69:7]
20. And olives and date-palms, [80:29]
Dates, a fruit mentioned in Surah Maryam , grow in dry soil in warm climates and have many benefits. Allah indicates their healing power by telling Maryam, who was in labor, to eat dates:
➬ A voice called out to her from under her: “Do not grieve! Your Lord has placed a small stream at your feet. Shake the trunk of the palm toward you, and fresh, ripe dates will drop down to you. Eat and drink and delight your eyes …” (Surah Maryam: 24-26)
Allah draws our attention to dates for a purpose. Examining its properties gives us a better grasp this purpose.
➬ Dates, which are more than 50% sugar, are extremely nourishing, for they contain fructose and glucose that are high in calories, and can be digested easily and quickly.30 Its sugar calms frazzled nerves and ensures psychological security. Giving birth involves the loss of blood, which obviously reduces the amount of blood sugar. As that sugar must be restored, dates are quite useful. In addition, dates prevent any reduction in blood pressure. Although meat is very beneficial, it may not be as beneficial as fresh dates in all cases. Eating too much meat, which contains an abundant amount of protein, at such a time may even cause poisoning. Thus, such light foods as vegetables and fruits, which are easy to digest, should be preferred.
➬ In light of this verse, we see that dates are especially beneficial for pregnant and breast-feeding women. They promote healthy fetal development in the mother’s womb, prevent the mother from weakening, and make her milk abundant and nourishing.
➬ At the same time, they are of great benefit to the brain. Dates, which consist of 2.2% protein, also contain vitamins A, B1, and B2. These proteins protect the body against disease and infection, enable body cells to regenerate, and balance bodily fluids. Vitamin A increases eyesight and bodily strength, as well as the strength of bones and teeth. Vitamin B1 facilitates the nervous system’s healthy functioning, helps the body convert carbohydrates into energy, regulates appetite and digestion, and enables the metabolism of proteins and fats. Vitamin B2 facilitates the burning of those proteins, carbohydrates, and fats required for supplying energy and cell renewal.
➬ Apart from these, dates contain minerals that are essential to the body (e.g., potassium, sodium, calcium, iron, manganese, and copper). When potassium and sodium act together, they regulate the heart’s pulsation rhythm. By facilitating the transfer of oxygen to the brain, potassium enables clear thought. Furthermore, it provides the appropriate alkaline property for bodily fluids, stimulates the kidneys to excrete toxic metabolic wastes, helps to lower high blood pressure, and promotes healthy skin formation.
➬ It is also interesting to note that a date’s content is especially beneficial for people who live in areas where it is generally grown. Its protein and sugar are the most nourishing nutrients for desert people.